Case Study: Championing Digital Literacy
About the Campaign:
Millions around the world face a technology gap, or “digital divide,” as technology advances rapidly. To address this gap, Certiport has become the world leader in promoting digital literacy — fundamental computing and Internet skills.
In an effort to bring more attention to the issue of digital literacy, Certiport created the Champions of Digital Literacy (CDL) program, which celebrates the achievements of individuals whose efforts have brought about the adoption of current digital literacy standards in schools, institutions, and communities.
To help deliver a successful campaign, Certiport turned to PilmerPR to create an award-winning PR campaign.
- Obtain at least three pieces of positive press coverage from this continued pitching
- Obtain at least twelve pieces of positive press coverage for Champions of Digital Literacy
- Expand current press network to include >5 additional journalists covering digital literacy topics
- Position Certiport as the global leader in digital literacy
- Leverage national, key industry vertical, and local community publications to create awareness for Digital Literacy Campaign
- Utilize rich media content to engage international media and to increase interest, understanding, and participation of the Champions of Digital Literacy campaign
- Recognize the efforts of individuals making an impact on digital literacy through Ceriport’s services
- Pitch major stories to established network of editors
- Pitch CDL stories to targeted press outlets for four months following PATHWAYS event
- Research all articles from the previous year on related topics featured in target publications to improve PilmerPR knowledge and understanding writers’ styles and tastes
- Frame the most compelling stories and story angles for custom pitching and press release writing
- Write SEO-optimized, campaign-related press releases
- Record podcasts with CDLs during the PATHWAYS event to distribute to targeted editors
- Coordinate post-PATHWAYS digital literacy stories with Certiport representatives
- Total Articles: 20. PilmerPR garnered 10 major articles in target publications and 10 additional international articles. These coverage results compare with four major national articles and six international articles in the previous campaign.
- Total Readership: >16 Million.
- Certifications: 1 Million. Certiport reached a milestone 5 million overall certification exams administered, with one million being administered in one year. (It took 1.5 years to hit the 4th million—the rate of growth accelerated 30 percent over the campaign period).
- Program Expansion: During the campaign Certiport was able to expand its digital literacy program in four new nations: Vietnam, Iraq, Navajo Nation, and China.